torsdag, maj 04, 2006

Diskussions about the batteries... ;)

Thanks for commenting my blogg... One person pointed out in the battery part ([ Homemade Divelamp ]: Batteries) that the capacity of the battery found in the the pdf about the battery is changed depending on the amount of Amperes used.

As I understand this graph shows how many hours/minutes the battery will last depending on the Ampere load on it... I am not very good at this electricity thing but I have read this graph like this:

1. First I calculated how much my lamp would use in Ampere during 2 dives:


Here the mathematics again:
P = U * I (P = Watt[W], U = Volt[V], I = Ampere [A, Ampere per hour])

'U' is simple, 12 V is standard for the bulbs and contacts to use. The 'P' is 35 W (from the bulb), so to get the 'I' = P / U = 35 W / 12 V = 2.92 A is this bulb using per hour.

So for using this bulb (35 W) for 1½ hour and have at least 1/3 left you need an battery of: 2.92 A * 1½ = 4.38 A is the bulb using for 1½ hour of diving.

Adding 1/3 to that gives us: 4.38 + (4.38/3) = 5.84 A which means that you need a battery with at least 6 Ampere Hours
.

2. What batteries can I use that fits into an pipe with radius of 100 mm?

I found this cheap batteries from biltema that fullfilled my caclulation.

3. I had a look at the graph that I found in the specifikations of the batteries:


So when looking at this graph I looked how long the batteries would last with the 35W bulb using about 4.38 Amperes during 2 dives which for me looks like it will last for at least 1 hour (60 minutes) in the graph. Close enough for me... ;)


In the end of may I will go diving on the west coast of Sweden to finish of my Diveleader + 3 star (***) CMAS course and will probably use this lamp quite a lot. So we will see if the batteries last for 2 normal dives in Swedish water.... I will get back to you about this.. with photos and the story....

1 Comments:

At måndag, maj 08, 2006 3:39:00 em, Anonymous Anonym said...

Hi,
You are a little quick in jumping from the current, with the unit Ampere [A], to the capacity measured in Ampere Hours [Ah] otherwise you are fine. So reading the diagram, use the Current you calculated (2,9A). As you can se you then get something like 2h or slightly less out of your battery. This means that at the current 2,9A, your battery has a capacity of 2,9A*2h = 5,8Ah

Have fun!

cheers
//OS

 

Skicka en kommentar

<< Home